Saturday, August 21, 2010

Need a chicken soup recipe to give my 92 year old mother for her cold. And any advice too please!?

She just broke her foot so I have been staying with her. Now she has a double whammy of having a cold on top of that. I want to make her some home-made chicken soup (something super easy, please). Got any quick and easy recipes? Also, she takes other meds for her heart and such, and has to drink lactaid milk. Doesnt that cause mucus build up? I was told that regular milk will but that lactaid milk would not. Anyone know for sure? thanx folks! And yes, I must keep an eye on her so she does not get pneumonia.Need a chicken soup recipe to give my 92 year old mother for her cold. And any advice too please!?
chicken soup is an age old stand by for a cold.





At 92 your mother needs something more. My mom has had problems with chest colds and pneumonia in the past. I started hooking up a warm mist humidifier with vicks in it. It doesn't interfer with other meds.





If your mom doesn't have a vaporizer, then put Vicks VapoRub on her chest. .......probably after she eats the chicken soup!





It's hard for the elderly to get over colds, at least with Vicks there is no drug interaction conflicts. ANYTHING beats going to the hospital with pneumonia.Need a chicken soup recipe to give my 92 year old mother for her cold. And any advice too please!?
I boil my chicken (on the bone and with the skin!!). When the chicken falls off the bone, I strain the broth. Put the broth back on the stove, add carrots, onions and celery (and celery leaves), along with a little parsley. Salt, pepper and garlic (fresh or jarred). While that is cooking, I shred the chicken and return it to the broth. This take me about 8 hours all together, but I make a HUGE pot - minimally 16 qt, but I like my larger one better -- more to go around. I add the noodles the last 10 minutes of cooking. All my veggies must be like mush and full of flavor. My s%26amp;p are added as needed, with taste testing along the way.





The best part about this - it's all fresh. This is how chicken soup should be made when you want to 'treat' illnesses. Everything that you add, is all a matter of how much you like the ingredient. You can make a small pot in a few hours, even boiling the veggies seperate while the meat is cooking, to speed up the process.





Good luck. I hope she feels better soon.
To make chicken soup always use country chicken which is the best . Cut the chicken into pieces and wash them and then add a little water turmeric powder, freshly pounded pepper corn, coriander leaves ginger and garlic and add salt to tast and boil it very well for about half an hour or more. season them and serve hot
Buy a whole chicken, clean it up, put it in a large pot cover with water, add cut up carrots, celery, tomotoes, onion, parsley, rosemary and whatever other veggies you would like and let it cook for a couple hours, also always add salt and pepper, sometimes I also throw a dash of worstershire sauce in it. Cook some soup noodles add together and you have yourself some homemade chicken soup!
Ingredients:


Margarine: 2 1/4 Ounce


Diced 1/4'; Yellow Onions : 9 Ounce


Sliced 1/8'; Carrots: 9 Ounce


Celery, Fresh SLICED: 4 1/2 Ounce


Water HOT: 1 Gallon


Chicken Base, No MSG: 4 Ounce


Medium Egg Noodles, Dry : 9 Ounce


Diced Mixed Chicken Meat, Cooked: 1 Pound + 2 Ounce





Procedure:


1. In a large souppan, saute onion, carrot and celery in margarine over medium heat for 5 minutes.


2. Add water and chicken base. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.


3. Add egg noodles. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until noodles are tender.


4. Add chicken. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and minimum internal temperature is 140 degrees F.





Simple. This recipe in for a gallon of sooup, but you can adjust accordingly. This recipe is also lowsalt, which is always good.





Lactaid milk will work for her. It is made for such a condition. You are in good shape. I hope your mother feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment