Monday, August 23, 2010

I'm looking for recipes for a hearty broth-based soup to serve my kids and their friends on Halloween.?

I'm looking for a broth-based soup with meats, veggies, and maybe pasta in it that will match a wide variety of tastes. I want to feed a load of kids something warm and hearty before they go out trick-or-treating. No, please don't give me thematic pumpkin soups--just straight-up soups to serve with bread. Thanks.I'm looking for recipes for a hearty broth-based soup to serve my kids and their friends on Halloween.?
How about Taco soup? It's a really big hit with kids!





Let me see if I can pull up my recipe for you....one sec





EDIT: http://www.recipezaar.com/40022


Here you are; this is the one I've always used - comes out great! Try with cornbread, or crusty french - yum!I'm looking for recipes for a hearty broth-based soup to serve my kids and their friends on Halloween.?
VEGETABLE BEEF BARLEY SOUP


Use beef cubes or 2-boxes of beef or chicken broth or beef powder soup base with the appropriate amount of water as called for on pkg.


1 medium onion, peeled and chopped


3 c peeled and diced potatoes


1 c thickly sliced celery


1 1/4 c peeled diced carrots


1/4 cup dry pearl barley


1/2 cup dry Lima beans


1/2 tsp garlic powder


1 tbsp lemon juice


Freshly ground black pepper to taste


Additional veggies such as cauliflower,mushrooms, broccoli ,Zucchini are (optional)


Put all ingredients into stock pot except liquid and fry slightly in oil. Reduce heat, add liquid of your choice and simmer until vegetables are tender about 1 1/2 hours. Serve hot.


Soup will thicken as it cooks.


Cooked meat can be added to soup if desired.
I don't have a recipe per se but it is really simple to make. Take chicken broth (homemade if you don't like canned) and heat it, adding a bit of water. Add lots of veggies and huge chunks of diced cooked chicken. Pasta is optional. Sprinkle in herbs to taste. Serve with bread and butter or biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment