Monday, November 21, 2011

Recipes or suggestions for crockpot chicken soup?

Okay, so my ten month old daughter and boyfriend have bronchitis and I'm starting to feel ill as well, so I plan on making some crockpot chicken soup. I will be using skinless boneless chicken breasts and am going to buy some celery and carrots later. All the questions answered before stress the importance of using the skin for flavor but that's not an option. I plan on boiling the chicken and cutting it into cubes and cooking for a few hours with just the veggies and adding noodles at a later point. What's the best type of noodles in your opinion? Should I also use base in the water in place of the fat(not boullion cubes, actual chicken base which is low sodium and not as salty tasting). Do baby carrots work as well as regular carrots? Thanks!Recipes or suggestions for crockpot chicken soup?
5 cups hot water


2 Tbsp chicken bouillon or 2 cubes


46 oz can chicken broth


2 cups cooked chicken


1 tsp salt


4 cups 'home style' noodles uncooked


1/3 cup fine chopped celery, lightly precooked in microwave


1/3 cup shredded or chopped carrots





dissolve bouillon in water, pour into cooker


and all remaining items, mix well


COVER and cook on low for 4-6 hrs





(I bet you could add more of the celery and carrots if you want)Recipes or suggestions for crockpot chicken soup?
the beauty of crockpot cooking is that you can throw in whatever you like and it almost always turns out great! I would try a bowtie or corkscrew (sorry i dont know pasta names) noodle. I like using the boxes of swanson chicken broth. Mix that with water if it is too strong for you. I like using baby carrots instead of whole carrots because it is easier for me! You could also try using prepackaged biscuit dough for dumplings instead of noodles. Just cut them into 4s or so and they work great!
I like grated carrots in chicken soup, also rice. All carrots taste them - size does not matter. It is better to make the base the day before and refrigerate so you can get the fat off the top. You do not want grease floating on top. Good luck. Soup is one of the easiest things to make

No comments:

Post a Comment